Craft Cat

Craft Cat in action.


This, this right there, right above this text, right below this text, it makes me happy. I’ve been waiting for this for awhile now. Since I started weaving really. But more intensely since I received the loom in February.


I have been really busy lately and for once, little miss crafty feline, craftily got me to give my weaving some loving. I’ve been working to dress the loom since last week. Slow going at best, no progress at all since my last post really. Well on Sunday, I decided to take a “quick” break and thread some more heddles. Miss CC decided to play with the warps, they were dangling down in little bundles from the heddles tantlizing her so *smack* *swat* *claw* she went. I saw where this was going. I saw a huge mess of warp hanging from my loom as soon as I stepped away from it. So I kept at it. I kept at it for 4 hours. It was the most beautiful, healing, wonderful, meditative experience I have had in such a long time. So even though most of the time Molly completely interferes in studio process around here, this time she did her job. She helped me to finish dressing my loom. And guess what? By Tuesday early afternoon I had woven through all my warp.

Well crap. What now? I don’t have a warping board. I guess it’s time to make one! I looked around a bit and found this amazing tutorial for how to make one if I had a great woodworking shop. But I don’t so I won’t make it that way. But I think it’s good reference. I think I am going to try this from The Joy of Handweaving (google books you rock!), basically what I was thinking of before I started googling around. I don’t think I’ll make it just like that, but really similar. I’ll take some pictures while I’m making it and post those. If I do anything really different from they way the Joy of Handweaving explains it I’ll write that up too.

Craft Cat

Thanks Craft Cat!


In other news, today sucked. I try to keep things positive most of the time, but wow, today sucked. No two ways about it.

So first off, I had to work at 8:15, which means getting up at 6:30 and being out the door at 7:20. Which doesn’t happen on any sort of regular basis so I didn’t go to bed until well after midnight.

#1 :: Lack of sleep

Then I wake up, drag myself out of bed, open the bedroom door and get hit with an arctic blast. I look at the thermostat – 52 degrees! I turn on the heater, so cold. Go back for a blanket and wrap it around myself. Stumble to the kitchen to get some tea going — the front door is wide open! “WHERE IS MOLLY!?” I run to the door, comforter in tow, she’s right there on the patio under a chair watching the storm. I pull her inside, shut the door. Open up the ferret cage and stumble to the bathroom.

#2 :: It’s before 7am, pitch black, the front door is open, the indoor craft cat is outdoors, it’s 52 degrees in our apartment. (that’s a whole lot for #2)

I am ready to leave and go to collect the ferrets, WHERE IS SLOANE? was she even in the cage when I opened it. Did she escape outside? Crap crap crap! Where is my ferret baby! Run outside. Look around. No where to be seen. Check all her spots. Nowhere. Crap! I’m going to miss the bus. Run Run Run. Anxiety!

#3 :: Missing ferret, maybe outside. Running late, might miss the bus.

I get to the bus stop, check it. Okay, the bus I need is coming to this stop. I go to get on the bus. My dollar won’t go in the slot. I ask if the bus is transferring to the downtown red line. “Step aside, you are taking too long, just move, I’ll tell you in a second, you are holding every one up!” Ohhhh, crabby bus lady. I felt so awkward being scolded by her. It does, I get my dollar in. Then at the next stop “just get off the bus and get on the other one now, rah, grrrr, crabbiness.” So I grabbed up all my stuff, and ran to the next bus. This lady was much nicer.

#4 :: Crabby bus lady, cold, rain. Bah.

Then work. Work was good, but I had like 5 voids! I just kept messing up ringing chocolates up. Oh well. Then one of my co-workers calls and I say yes to staying an extra 3 hours. Which is fine, I need the money. But a 9 hour shift, even at a chocolate shop, on your feet the whole time in Keds, is tiring.

#5 :: Lots of mistakes; staying later than I thought at work.

Then I get home. We saw some serious signs of ferret activity so, thankfully, Sloane was inside. We found her and she’s just fine and I felt like crying I was so relieved. All day I was imagining her running around outside, scared and wet and hungry and cold, so yeah, relief. Then I settle into answering emails and ect and I got a really snarky comment on craft leftovers. So I tried to email this so and so back and they had entered a fake email. You know, if you don’t have something nice to say, that’s fine, I’m down with the critical criticism. I’m used to it from art school. Just be sure enough in the rightness of what you are saying to provide me with the chance to defend myself. I sure am glad I do comment moderation so no one saw it. It was a pretty serious false accusation that I think was fired off without checking facts. I don’t think people realize that what they say, good and bad, I take to heart. I put a lot into Craft Leftovers. If you say something nice, it makes my day, if you say something mean, it really truly makes me sad. I’m not walmart, I’m not Lion Brand. I’m just me. Kristin Roach. When you comment on Craft Leftovers, you are sending a message directly to me. The sole provider of content. I do everything for Craft Leftovers myself, from projects to graphic design. It’s just me. Sometimes I wish I had a staff of even just 2 people, but I don’t even have enough money to pay myself a living wage (hence the part time job I just picked up).

#6 :: Snarky Comment brought me down.

So that’s my sucky day. It’s now 10:14. There is still an hour to make it better. I’ve started to feel better by getting the post up on Craft Leftovers. A little How To for sewing diy fabric covered buttons onto what they need to be sewn on. And by writing about it hereAnd I had some tea. And I’ve been listing to Bad At Sports, which actually has given me some serious home sickness for Chicago. But I’m more relaxed and motivated to submit some more proposals to Chicago art spaces. And so now, I’m going to weave. I finished my scarf, but I have 8 inches of warp left, so I’m going to play with some twill structures. Oh and Miss CC is on my lap, purring like mad and nuzzling my sweater, very soothing indeed. I think, honestly, I’m just tired. 6 hours of sleep is just not enough for me.

I’ll be back sooner than later. I’ll show off my awesome warping board that I’m making tomorrow. And I’ll show you my plans for my next painting.

Have a good night! I wish you all the best of days for all of times!